9.19.2012

COLD-BUSTING JUICE... i hope



If you know us in real life, you know about our months of back-to-back colds and flus after Otto was born this last February. Adelaide was sick right after Otto was born and he ended up with RSV at 16 days old. I had to stay in the hospital with my poor sick newborn for 4 days while he was on oxygen fighting that horrible virus. That virus was the end of our sanity for a few months as every flu and cold virus out there circulated its way through our family. Then one day when Otto was probably 4 months old, I stopped what I was doing and realized we were all well. There wasn't a cough or sneeze to be heard in the house. I didn't verbally acknowledge the lack of illness because I knew as soon as I did, we would be jinxed and I'd be kicking myself in my untoned mom butt. It's been a glorious 2 months of being well, but yesterday the sniffles attacked the kook's nose and now I have a sick girl on my hands. I am motivated to keep the rest of us well if possible or at least boost our immune systems so that other colds don't hit us while we're down.

Yesterday I broke out the fruit and veggies and hit up Nana and Papa's garden to make some fresh juice. We aren't daily juicers and really only seem to do it when we are feeling really crappy, but I am hoping to get more into the habit of doing it through this coming flu season. I've found that adding lemon to the green juice really helps lessen the intense green flavor and cucumber adds a nice fresh flavor. Go ahead and try out this recipe or make your own. The amount of each ingredient doesn't really matter. I just used what I had. You can add more lemon if you like the bite or even throw some ginger in if you aren't a ginger wimp like I am. This juice made a little more than a gallon. And yes, I realize it's not really green, but I'm calling it green juice because it has a lot of greens in it. If this juice kicks the kook's cold out of her system in a day and keeps the rest of us well, I will be sure to let you know that it's a miracle juice.

No comments:

Link Within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin